1) What do I need to get started with extrusion?
2) Do NanoSizer extruders include the membrane? What kind?
Each NanoSizer contains a track-etched polycarbonate membrane.
3) What kind of syringes are suitable for extrusion with NanoSizer?
NanoSizer extruders can be used with the needle-tipped Hamilton glass syringes provided with other common liposome mini-extruders. Plus, NanoSizer extruders accomodate single-use luer-lock syringes: this means no cleaning of the syringe and no chance for leakage due to worn plunger assemblies. Both glass and single-use syringe are available here.
4) What kind of needles are required for extrusion with NanoSizer?
The needles provided with syringes are 22 Gauge and are designed with the right length for use with NanoSizer extruders. Replacement needles for glass and single-use syringes can be found here.
5) Can NanoSizer be heated?
Yes, NanoSizer can be heated up to at least 100C using our heating block desined for hot plate.
6) Do I need a heat block?
You will need to heat your solution above the transition temperature of the lipid-mixture (i.e. 41C for DPPC). A specially designed heat block that uses NanoSizer extruders is available here, and NanoSizer extruders are also compatible with other common heat blocks.
7) Is NanoSizer suitable for extrusion of high volume liposome solutions?
Yes, we have options for large volume extrusion needs. Please contact us at email@example.com or +1 (865) 919 - 3000.
8) Will I get the same size distribution that I get with other extruders?
Yes, we have tested and compared the size distribution of liposomes created with NanoSizer and another common extruder via Dynamic Ligh Scattering (DLS). Results show equivalant size distribution via NanoSizer extrusion.